The best things in life are free, right? In that case, this way to upcycle a shirt is great! Cause here is the blog on how Elise from The Thrifted Capricorn gave her old shirt a new look with chemical-free dye she already had in her cupboard! And you can DIY! On our journey to making 100 t-shirts a green statement, this is t-shirt #10, a collaboration with The Thrifted Capricorn!
What did you make, and why?
I decided to change the color of my tee shirt because I have had it for several years and the crisp white color is becoming a bit dingy. Instead of throwing it away where it would go to a landfill and become part of the annual 17 million tons of textiles waste in the USA.
How to dye without chemicals?
I took a plain white tee shirt (thrifted from Goodwill for$1.99 three years ago) and dyed it with turmeric for a natural colour.
- Thoroughly soak the tee shirt in water and wring it out
2. Fill a pot with 4 litres of water, one cup of white vinegar and 3 tablespoons of turmeric powder
3. Bring the dye mix to a boil, then add in your tee shirt
4. Boil for as long as you want depending on colour –
less time = lighter, more time = darker
5. Take your shirt out, rinse in cold water and dry
And the result?
I dyed it with the spice turmeric to give it a nice new yellow color!! Using the spice for dye is chemical-free (yay!) and already in my cupboard, so this project did not cost me anything. I am excited to give this piece a new life and wear it more frequently – yellow is one of my favorite colors and always brings me such joy!!